The Imperial Palace in Shenyang is the former imperial palace of the early Qing Dynasty. Shenyang was the original capital of the Manchu state, the northeastern power that defeated the Ming dynasty in 1644. Construction of the palace began in 1625 under the Emperor Nurhaci, the first ruler of the Manchu state. The Manchu emperor Huang Taiji made further additions to the palace in 1636. When the Ming dynasty fell in 1644, the Manchu moved their capital to Beijing, and the Forbidden City became the seat of power of the Qing emperors. The Shenyang palace became a regional residence for the emperors: a number of Qing rulers stayed there for some portion of the year.
The Shenyang Imperial Palace is built in a similar style to the Forbidden City, although architecturally it has elements of Tibetan, Han and Manchu styles. The palace is now a museum, where antique furniture, musical instruments, paintings and weaponry are displayed. Pavilions, towers, halls and living quarters for the emperors and their concubines surround Chongzheng Dian, and include the Phoenix Tower and the Palace of Celestial Peace.