The Museum of the Guihai Stele Forest is located at No. 1, Longyin Road, Guiling City. It is devoted to the display and preservation of the ancient rock inscriptions and carved stone tablets (steles) which are found in the Guilin region.
Beginning in the time of the Sui Dynasty, it became customary to cut inscriptions into the natural cliff faces around Guilin. During the Tang Dynasty, officials and scholars would write poetic observations and memorials and inscribe them on cliff faces and steles. Over successive centuries this custom continued, so that today most of the rock and cliff faces in the region bear these messages from the past.
The Museum of the Guihai Stele Forest was established in 1984, and is located at Longyin Cliff, where stone inscriptions exist in great number. The museum now preserves more than 110 stone inscriptions from the time of the Tang Dynasty to the Republic of China (1911-1949), together with rubbings from many more carvings and steles.