Also called the “Eastern church,” St. Joeseph’s was established in 1655 on Wangfujing Avenue. Emperor Shuzhi of the Qing Dynasty had granted permission for two foreign priests to live in the area, and they subsequently built a small church on the grounds. This Jesuit church was badly damaged by earthquakes and wars, and therefore was completely rebuilt in 1904. In 1980, the church was reopened after another massive restoration. This church has an impressive vaulted roof supported by massive columns.
Service time: 6:00-8:00